27 C
Lagos
Sunday, April 18, 2021
More
    Array

    xenophobia-south-africa-shuts-down-embassy-in-nigeria

    Must Read

    Again, suspected herdsmen invade Benue Community, kill 11 residents, injure scores

    Suspected Fulani herdsmen militias have invaded Mbakyondu, in Gwer-West Local Government Area of Benue State, killing no fewer that...

    Banditry attacks: Katsina deploys dogs to secure boarding schools

    Katsina has approved the deployment of dogs to complement security arrangements to secure boarding schools in the State. Commissioner for...

    Active cases of COVID-19 rises to 7,782 as NCDC confirms more infections

    Active cases of COVID-19 rises to 7,782 as NCDC confirms more infections The total active cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) across...

    The South Africa High Commission to Nigeria has shut down its offices and consulate for fear of attack by youths in the country.

    According to sources, the acting High Commissioner, Amb. Bobby Moroe, confirmed it this morning that he had directed the Mission to suspend all consular activities until the situation improved.

    He explained that the reported attacks on South Africans in parts of the country informed the decision to close down the Mission.

    READ ALSO: JUST IN: Air Peace Volunteers To Evacuate Nigerians From South Africa “Free Of Charge”

    Moroe stated, “I directed that the Mission should be closed until the situation improves. We heard that South Africans were being pulled out of vehicles and attacked. We feel unsafe and that is why I directed that the mission should close down until further notice.”

    When told that the police had beefed up security to prevent retaliatory attacks, the envoy said the Mission would remain closed because he did not want to take chances.

    Meanwhile, the Federal Capital Territory Minister, Malam Muhammad Bello, has called on the residents of the Territory, especially students and youths, not to carry out retaliatory attacks on South African nationals and business interests in the FCT over the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

    He said that the Federal Government was already exploring diplomatic channels to address the issue, appealing that residents should allow the efforts to succeed.

    Bello also assured South African nationals and business interests of their safety, adding that it was the pleasure of the Administration to have them living and working in the FCT.

    While appealing to residents to remain calm and go about their lawful activities, he warned that law enforcement agencies had been mobilised to forestall any breakdown of law and order and “anybody instigating or participating in any acts of violence or vandalism will face the wrath of the law.”

    - Advertisement -

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    - Advertisement -

    Latest News

    Again, suspected herdsmen invade Benue Community, kill 11 residents, injure scores

    Suspected Fulani herdsmen militias have invaded Mbakyondu, in Gwer-West Local Government Area of Benue State, killing no fewer that...
    - Advertisement -

    More Articles Like This

    - Advertisement -