Amazing Facts About Wizkid You Should Know As He Turns 30
Nigerian singer and songwriter Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, known professionally as Wizkid clocks 30 today and it has been all about the multitalented singer.
Below are some facts that we have gathered as we join to celebrate him.
- Wizkid who hails from Lagos state was born on the 16th July, 1990 in a family of six. He is the last child and only son.
- He started singing at the early age of 11 with the stage name Lil Prinz.
- He also formed a group called glorious five. The group later released a 7-track album that was released in the church.
- He had his first ever recording with OJB Jezreel at 11 and at 15, he started writing songs and receiving guidance from Naeto C
- He changed his name from Lil-Prinz to Wizkid in 2006
- In 2010 he had his break out single is “holla at your boy” released
- In 2011, he dropped out of lead city university in his third year where he was studying international relations.
- His first album was released in 2011 with E.M.E titled “superstar”. The album had 17 tracks.
- The singer’s favourite colour is black.
- Wizkid’s first international collaboration was with Akon on “Don’t Dull” (remix)
- He is the first African pop star to perform and sell out royal Albert hall in London
- He is the Nigerian artiste with the most award nomination in Nigeria.
- He is the first African to bag seven billboard nominations
- He is the first Nigerian artiste to win three billboard awards.
- Wizkid is the first afro-pop artiste to win an award from the American society of composers’ authors and publishers (ASCAP)
- Wizkid Is the only Nigerian artiste to maintain the number one spot on Itunes world chart for more than one week with the song “one dance” with Drake
- The governor of Minnesota, Mark Brandt Dayton honoured the singer, by naming a day after him in the US.
Happy birthday from YANS.NG