OPINION: Why Melaye May Emerge Winner Of Kogi West Rerun, By Michael Onjewu
Long-time political rivals Dino Melaye and Smart Adeyemi will again test their political strength on the 16th of November, 2019, when the people of Kogi West go the poll to elect a new senator.
This comes after the verdict of the appeal court seating in Abuja affirming the ruling of the Kogi State National/State Assembly Election Petitions Tribunal, invalidating the February 23 election of Dino Melaye as the senator representing Kogi West at the National Assembly. The court also ordered a fresh election within 90 days.
Melaye now of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Smart Adeyemi of the All Progressives Congress (APC) are not new to the political turf.
Adeyemi served in the senate between 2007-2015 under the PDP before he was defeated by Dino Melaye who was in the APC then. Both men, however, swapped places during the 2019 senatorial election which has now been upturned by the courts.
Here are reasons why Dino Melaye may emerge winner of the November 16 rerun.
- Political Achievements: Politically, Melaye has been able to impact the lives of the people of Kogi West in virtually all aspects of life - education, social welfare, health care, infrastructure, etc. He has also sponsored very important bills and motions during his time in the senate.
- Charisma: Melaye has endeared himself to the people of Kogi West due to his charisma as a leader. His vibrancy during contributions at the senate and on live television has set him apart as a shining star among his competitors. Melaye's personality as a frontline politician in Nigeria will spur his people to return him back to the senate.
- Grassroot Support: Melaye enjoys massive support from the people at the grassroot due to his giant strides as a politician. It is due to the support he enjoys at the local level that enabled him to win elections in 2007, 2011, 2015 and 2019. He also survived a politically motivated recall process against him. He will capitalize on this come November 16.
- Sympathy votes: There is a consensus among voters in Kogi West that Melaye is being victimized by the powers that be in Lokoja for his political views. They see the decision of the courts as being politically motivated. These voters will vote Melaye based on the belief that he is hounded by political rivals.
- Political Antecedent: Melaye's political track record in Kogi West places him at a vantage point ahead of November 16. He has mustered more electoral victories than his main challenger, Smart Adeyemi. Based on antecedents, Melaye has an edge over Adeyemi.
Come November 16, history will again repeat itself as Melaye will defeat Adeyemi to return to the senate to continue the good work for the people of Kogi West.
See List of Melaye's constituency projects.
Drilling of Motorized Borehole in Iluhafon
Drilling of Motorized Borehole in Iluagba
Drilling of Motorized Borehole in Odokoro
Drilling of Motorized Borehole in Ife-Ikoyi
Drilling of 4 Boreholes in Isanlu
Drilling of Motorized Borehole in Odo-Akete
Drilling of Motorized Borehole in Otokiti-Army Barrack
Drilling of Motorized Borehole in Gegu-Beki
Drilling of 4 Boreholes in Odo-Ere
Drilling of motorized Borehole in Aiyeteju- Kabba
Drilling of Hand pump Borehole in Iyamoye
Drilling of 4 Hand pump Boreholes in Oubo
Drilling of 2 Hand pump Borehole in Girinya
Drilling of Hand pump Borehole in Jege
Drilling of Motorized Borehole in Itedo-Isanlu
Drilling of Hand pump Borehole in Uhana
Drilling of 2 Hand Pump Boreholes in Okoro-Gbede
Drilling of Motorized Borehole in Igbo-Ero
Drilling of Hand pump Borehole in Cantonment Area
Drilling of Hand pump borehole in Maigari palace
Drilling of Hand pump borehole in cattle market at Okumi
of 3 Hand pump Boreholes in Takete –Ide
Drilling of Hand pump Borehole in Gbebu
Drilling of Hand pump Borehole in Kinami
Drilling of Hand pump Borehole in Buge
Drilling of Motorized Borehole in Egbe
Drilling of Hand pump Borehole in Orehi
Drilling of Hand pump Borehole in Akpogu
Drilling of Hand pump Borehole in Ofere-Bunu
Electrification of Orokere- Amuro
Electrification of Egbe Town
Electrification of Ejuku Town
Electrification of Odo-Ape
Provision and installation of 300KVA Transformer in Gegu Egba (Bassa Quarters)
Extension of Electricity in Ayede-Amuro
Improvement of Electricity in Oke-Agi Ogede
Improvement of Electricity in Otafun Amuro
Provision and installation of 300KVA Transformer in Budan
Provision and installation of 300KVA Transformer in Jamata
Provision and installation of 300KVA Transformer in Kwararafa
Provision and installation of 300KVA Transformer in Ogbabon
Improvement of Electricity and provision of 300KVA Transformer in Iluke-Bunu
Electrification of Oga
Provision and installation of 300KVA Transformer at 20 Low-cost Housing unit Egunbe Kabba
Construction of Iluafon road
Rehabilitation of Aiyegunle Gbede Township road
Rehabilitation of Iyara Township road
Construction of Ahoko-Tanahu-Nyaba Aduho road
Rehabilitation of Kwararafa Unity layout road Lokoja
Construction of Odo-Ere Township road
Rehabilitation of Mopa Township road
Rehabilitation of Ayede-Oke-Ofin-Olle road
Construction of Deneku-Gbanranka Bridge
Construction of Aiyetoro-Gbede Township road
Construction and Equipping of ICT Centre in Aiyetoro-Gbede
Construction of Ekirin-Ade Township road
Rehabilitation of Ilupa-Ona road
Construction of Edeha-Ganuma Edegaki road
Rehabilitation of Igbagun Towhnship roadConstruction of Sarkin noma Township road
Rehabilitation of Egbe Township road
Construction of Stadium road Kabba
Construction of Gbeleko Township road
Extension of Electricity to NOUN Iyara